Time for comfort food
Times are tough. We need a little comfort as we "shelter-in-place" in a world turned up-side-down from the corona virus pandemic. If ever there was a time for a breakfast that harkens back to simpler times. You know exactly what you need - oatmeal! Warm, wholesome oats mixed with plump peach chunks and the natural sweetness of applesauce...there is no better way to start a morning in uncertain times than with a bowl of Baked Peach Oatmeal.
Nothing fancy, just satisfying
This recipe might be a bit more work than reconstituting a packet of instant oatmeal, but on a cold morning it's worth the extra effort. So simple, most of the ingredients you will have in your pantry. It comes together in 10 minutes, then put it in the oven, relax, go meditate and in 35 minutes your Baked Peach Oatmeal will be ready.
Take care of yourselves my friends!
Spoon a helping of the Baked Peach Oatmeal into a bowl, then top with dollop of tangy vanilla yogurt...you'll be in for a breakfast treat.
Baked Peach Oatmeal
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 15 ounce can peaches in light syrup, drained and reserve ⅓ cup syrup
- 1 ½ cup vanilla yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add milk, applesauce, egg and vanilla to the oatmeal mixture. Stir to evenly combine.
- Chop peaches into ½" pieces and fold them and the reserved peach syrup into the oat mixture.
- Spread the oatmeal mixture in a 1 ½ quart baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Serve with ¼ cup vanilla yogurt.