There is a flavor to living in the West. For me, that flavor is the warmth of roasting chiles, the tang of fresh lime (think margarita) and the subtle notes of cumin and cilantro. I take it for granted until I head east and struggle to find an authentic beef taco or chile relleno.
Five simple ingredients
Make this easy Green Chile Breakfast Bake from ingredients that are in your pantry and refrigerator. Start with basic omelet ingredients - eggs, cheese and a little milk, then you make it fancy. Chopped Hatch green chiles can be bought in the store or roast your own and pop them in the freezer for when you make this recipe. Add some cumin and top with cilantro and you've got something special for breakfast.
One recipe, many meals
Perhaps the name of this recipe is deceptive because this Green Chile Breakfast Bake is versatile. It makes a simple vegetarian dinner when served with salad and bread. If you have leftovers...which you probably won't, fill breakfast tacos or breakfast sandwiches with this yummy egg mixture.
Green Chile Breakfast Bake
- 6 eggs lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup lowfat milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4.5 oz. can diced green chiles or ½ cup diced, locally roasted chiles
- 2 cups shredded cheese –Monterey Jack and/or Cheddar
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs and milk with seasonings.
- Coat a 9 x 9 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread drained, chopped chiles evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the chiles evenly with cheese then pour the seasoned egg mixture over the filling.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until eggs set. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the eggs set for 5 minutes before cutting. Top with cilantro and serve.