Healthy Chicken Lasagna is loaded with chunks of meat, vegetables and mushrooms but half the heft of traditional lasagna. This recipe serves 8 portions, so it is my go-to recipe for feeding a crowd or to split in two lasagnas...one to for dinner and one for the freezer.
I know what you're thinking...who has time to make homemade lasagna? This recipe cuts down on time by using no boil pasta, so you won't have to worry about messing around with hot, floppy noodles. Using prepared spaghetti sauce and pre-shredded cheese also cuts down preparation time. By the way- this recipe cuts the cheese of a tradition lasagna in half and places it all top where you can see it.
Next time you want to serve something unique to a crowd, make Healthy Chicken Lasagna or divide the recipe in two to serve your family and share with a sick neighbor.
Healthy Chicken Lasagna
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves cubed
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 28 oz can Italian-style chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded carrots about 4-5 medium carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 10 oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 16 oz. low fat ricotta cheese
- 24 oz. jar of meatless spaghetti sauce
- 9 oz. box no-boil lasagna noodles
- 8 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté chicken, mushrooms, onion, garlic and Italian seasoning in olive oil.
- When the chicken is cooked through, stir in the undrained tomatoes, carrots, salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray.
- Squeeze the excess moisture from the spinach. In a medium bowl, combine spinach and cottage cheese, stir until evenly mixed.
- To assemble, spread ½ cup of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Place noodles in a single layer over the sauce. Spread half of the spinach/ricotta cheese mixture over the noodles vegetables followed by a layer of half of the vegetable/chicken mixture. Continue to build the lasagna with another layer of noodles, half of the remaining spaghetti sauce, remaining spinach/ricotta cheese mixture, remaining vegetable mixture, and remaining spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese evenly over the assembled lasagna.
- Spray a piece of aluminum foil with vegetable cooking spray and cover the lasagna.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Remove cover and continue baking for 10 more minutes to allow the top to brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving. This resting period will help the lasagna set so that it will hold its shape when cut.