How can anything this easy, taste so good? Lemon Chicken Soup marries the refreshing taste of freshly squeezed lemons with tender orzo pasta and chunks of chicken. This is my favorite way to use the remaining chicken from a roasted chicken. The fresh lemon juice awakens your taste buds in a way that bottled lemon juice never could...so don't use bottled juice. This Lemon Chicken Soup tastes the best when it is prepared fresh, so don't plan on leftovers. Enjoy it all while it's fresh!
Lemon Chicken Soup
This zippy lemon soup will become your favorite use for leftover chicken. It can be ready in 20 minutes with very little effort.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ⅓ cup orzo or other small pasta uncooked
- 1 cup cooked chicken chopped
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 2 eggs beaten
- Bring the broth to a boil in a saucepan.
- Stir in the orzo and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the orzo is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the lemon juice. Remove from heat.
- Add the egg gradually, whisking constantly.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve immediately.
This soup tastes best when freshly prepared. If you have leftovers (trust me, you won’t), revive the reheated soup with a little fresh lemon juice.
This is one of our quick go to soups.. We love it! Use arborio rice to make it gluten free.
I've used rice in this recipe too, but never considered Arborio rice...great idea! When are you going to visit us on Snowcat?
Plz. Keep us posted. We are off to Patagonia March 15-31.
Our family loves this soup too!