Receiving a jar of dry soup mix to make this lentil and split pea soup will make your family and friends so happy. With a few extra ingredients and less than an hour of effort they can feed a bowl of Lentil Soup for Friends to a crowd.
Lentil Soup for Friends
Dry Soup Ingredients
- ½ cup dry split peas
- ½ cup dry red lentils
- ½ cup dry yellow lentils
- ⅓ cup pearly barley
- ⅓ cup beef bouillon granules
- ¼ cup dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 cup Elbow macaroni packaged separately
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 10 cups beef or vegetable stock
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large stock pot, brown meat; drain off excess fat. Remove pasta from the top of the jar of soup mix.
- Add the remaining dry soup mix to the browned meat, then stir in the stock, un-drained diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the pasta, cover and simmer 15 additional minutes, or until the pasta, peas, lentils and barley are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serves 10