Exotic, yet Simple
While experimenting with my electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot), I fell in love with the flavor of this exotic, yet simple meatless meal. I've always thought that brown rice and lentils are great sources of fiber, but a bit boring. This recipe changes that impression.
The Secret is the Sauce
The warm and enticing flavor of cinnamon mixed with cumin and coriander meld together under a blanket of cool, tangy yogurt spooned on top. This popular Middle Eastern dish uses the acidity of yogurt to pull it all together...amazing!
Lentils and Rice with Tangy Yogurt Sauce (Instant Pot version)
Rice and Lentils
- 1 cup brown lentils picked over and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup long grain brown rice rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 ½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Optional toppings: caramelized onions, toasted nuts, or chopped cilantro.
- 1 cup plain 2% yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, about ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 6- quart electric or stove-top pressure cooker
- Place lentils in a bowl and cover with warm water. Allow the lentils to soak while you assemble the spices.
- Turn on the Sauté function of the electric pressure cooker. Sauté onion in olive oil in the pot until onions are translucent. Add garlic, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, and cayenne, stirring to bloom the spices for 1 minute. Turn off Sauté’ function.
- To the onion/spice mixture, stir in drained lentils, rice, sugar, salt and broth. Close the lid and lid vent. On the Manual setting, set the cooker for 14 minutes at high pressure. Allow the cooker to naturally release pressure (for 15 minutes).
- To serve, fluff rice and lentils and top with a dollop of yogurt sauce and toppings.