What could be easier? All you need is a tube of polenta, a little cheese and some imagination, for an impressive appetizer or quick side dish. I'd love to claim that I am organized and thoughtfully plan my food for the week. Nope, not me. Neighborhood potlucks and get-togethers with friends sneak up on me. Staring at the open refrigerator or pantry looking for inspiration can all be solved if I have one ingredient--- prepared polenta in a tube. Shelf-stable, fully cooked, zero fat and gluten-free, this yellow cylinder of cornmeal can provide the perfect foundation for something interesting.
Do you have a recipe using polenta in a tube? I'd love to hear your ideas for easy dishes using this convenient product. Share your ideas in the comment section and I'll give it a try!
- 1 roll (1-pound) prepared flavored polenta
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan or asiago cheese
- Your choice of pesto sauce julienned roasted red peppers, sautéed sliced mushrooms, chopped black olives, chopped fresh tomatoes or chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the polenta into eighteen ¼-inch slices. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle each slice with a pinch of the cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown and crisp. Cool slightly. Serve plain or top with roasted red peppers, mushrooms, black olives, tomatoes, basil and/or pesto.