This unique combination of pear, apple, sweet potatoes and dried sour cherries is perfect for Thanksgiving or any other cold winter night. I prefer to use Garnet sweet potatoes because their deep orange flesh is naturally moist and sweet. They caramelize beautifully when roasted.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Sour Cherries
- ½ cup dried sour cherries
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 pears peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 Granny Smith apples peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place cherries in a small bowl. Pour enough hot water over the cherries to cover. Let stand for 2 minutes; drain.
- Combine the cherries, sweet potatoes, pears, and apples in a large bowl and mix well.
- Combine the honey, olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a small saucepan and heat until honey becomes liquid.
- Pour honey and oil sauce over the sweet potato mixture, stirring to coat.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture in an even layer on a foil-covered baking sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender and light brown.