Okay, so the name of this recipe is a bit of a mouth-full, shack-shoe'-ka. Learn it well, because this recipe will soon be your favorite, easy meal. And yes - it's quite healthy too!
Simple ingredient list
This meal can come together in 30 minutes with very few ingredients. You'll need a large can of crushed tomatoes (I prefer fire-roasted), garlic, onion, red pepper, seasonings, eggs and if you'd like, some feta cheese for the top.
Serve this one-dish meal with some crusty bread or go Mediterranean all the way and have wedges of pita bread.
Cooking class experiences Mediterranean cuisine
This recipe was perfected for a Mediterranean cooking class that I taught with my friend and personal trainer Kathy Yeiser for the Old Town Hot Springs in Steamboat. I will be posting more of the recipes that I developed for this class, so check back to lifeintheboat.com for more.
- 10-inch oven-proof skillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 large red pepper stem and seeds removed and diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomato
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup feta , optional
- Chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In a 10-inch, oven-proof skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and pepper to the pan. Sauté the vegetables until they become soft but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cumin, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes. Continue to cook the mixture for one more minute. Add crushed tomatoes and heat to a simmer.
- Using a large spoon, make six indentations in the tomato mixture. Crack an egg into each of the dents, then transfer the skillet into the preheated oven. Bake until the eggs are just set, about 12-15 minutes.
- Top with feta and cilantro/parsley, then serve.