Okay, I'm officially tired of the snow. Steamboat has received several feet of snow in the past week and it looks like we are due for 1-3 inches for several more days. Time to dust off the slow cooker and make some soup.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 14-ounce cans Mexican style tomatoes (I use Rotel brand tomatoes)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can kernel corn drained
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 ½ cups roughly crushed tortilla chips
- 1 avocado cubed
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, stir together all ingredients except the toppings.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Before serving, remove chicken breasts from the soup and allow them to cool for 5 minutes.
- Shred the chicken with a fork then distribute evenly into soup bowls. Ladle hot soup over the chicken.
- Top each bowl of soup with ¼ cup crushed tortilla chips, cubed avocado, a squeeze of lime and sprinkle with cilantro.